This is the first copy of the Qur’an attributed to the city of Al Zubarah, a UNESCO World Heritage site on the northwest coast of Qatar. We know from its detailed inscriptions that the transcript was completed on 28 October 1806 by Sheikh Ahmed bin Rashid Al Mureikhi from Al Zubarah city. It was written in two volumes, each containing 15 parts of the Holy Qur’an.
The first volume contains the chapters from Al-Fatiha until Al-Isra’, and the first verses of Al-Kahf. The second includes the chapters from Al-Kahf until the end of Al-Nas. The last page features different prayers as well as the calligrapher’s name and date of production.
In order to protect the pages from damage, each volume is bound by a leather cover decorated with intricate geometric and floral patterns.